Sustainable footprint for international commerce
Sustainability is a key theme for global shoppers as they seek out brands that are committed to real change in this area. Now all of our clients can offer carbon neutral delivery to their international customers – first, middle and last mile.
Gaolin Wind Project
ESW participates in the Gaolin Wind Project, a generation project that is constructing 99 wind turbines for a total of 148,500 kilowatts of capacity. This will provide a reduction of 1,697,388 CO2 eq*.
* Carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2eq) stands for a unit based on the global warming potential (GWP) of different greenhouse gases. The CO2eq unit measures the environmental impact of one ton of these greenhouse gases in comparison to the impact of one ton of CO2.
Clean Development Mechanism
The Gaolin Wind Project holds a Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) quality label. CDM projects are one of the two offsetting mechanisms described under the Kyoto Protocol and are developed by industrialised countries in developing nations. The project is validated by the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change), which checks that the emission reductions are real, measurable, verifiable, and additional.
The project will align with key Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as outlined by the United Nations, including:
- SDG 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- SDG 8: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- SDG 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
Aligned with these goals, the project will deliver
- Reduction of 1 697 388 teqCO2;
- Reduction of air pollution in the region with the decrease of coal consumption;
- Local jobs created for construction and maintenance of turbines;
- Local economic development through access to sustainable energy;
- Decrease of diseases related to atmospheric pollution.
“ESW is proud to offer our retail and brand clients the ability to be at the forefront of sustainable shipping and contribute to a more positive future for the environment. As cross border ecommerce continues to elevate economies all over the world, we must ensure that what’s good for business is also good for the planet. We know that these offsets create a high level of value for our clients and, in turn, their consumers.”
Tommy Kelly, CEO